A Start-Up Accelerator
For Disadvantaged Entrepreneurs
Giving entrepreneurs an equal chance of success in business, regardless of their background.
Founder Machine helps “disadvantaged” young entrepreneurs succeed. We believe in creating a level playing field– equal opportunity, resource, and support – for young men and women running their own business regardless of their economic, social, religious, or cultural background or whatever walk of life they come from.
Leading entrepreneurs through the ins and outs of running their own personal business.
During an 8-week program, Founders work on growing their business with the help of current successful entrepreneurs. Through a series of workshops, mentoring, and “doing”, the group cohort determines how to make their business work for them. The 8-week cycle culminates with a demo-day in which participants showcase and pitch their business to an invited audience of supporters (and dare we say, potential investors!).
How does it work?
Entrepreneurs are selected from an array of different backgrounds – economic, cultural, and social. Members selected must commit to attending the weekly programs.
- Application Deadline- August 18th, 2012
- Application Review- Completed by Aug 27, 2012
- Class Starts: The week of Sep 3, 2012
Founders Learn How To:
- “Launch” a business (even though you already ‘have’ a business we get back to basics)
- Collaborate and work as a group
- Mix with others from different backgrounds
- Work with top class business mentor
- Become accountable
- Pivot their business to a new direction if it is not working
- Raise money & fund growth
How does it work?
- Entrepreneurs apply on line at http://www.foundermachine.org/apply-here/ by May 15.
- Applicants will be scheduled for an interview during May, June, July, August
- Participants will be selected by Aug 27 and must commit to attending weekly programs beginning week Sep 3.
- 8 weeks
- Meeting one-time per week (6-9pm, 3 hour session)
- Ongoing mentoring
- Present @ Demo-day
What do we do?
- Help founders answer questions they have about how to run a successful business.
- Deal with the issue of how to fund a business, whether that’s organically or by raising investment money.
We will not run your business and we’re not here to tell you what to do. What we will do is offer tons of excellent advice, so you can make your own decisions.
Applicants should be between the ages of 18-30, CURRENTLY RUNNING a revenue generating business, and come from a disadvantaged community. The Founder Machine team will select a group of 10-20 business owners to join the next 8-week cycle. Unfortunately, Founder Machine is NOT currently open to entrepreneurs with an idea for a business. Our goal, at this stage, is to work with businesses that already have revenue but may need help in growing
Who should apply?
This program is made available to young “disadvantaged” entrepreneurs. What does that mean? It can mean many things. Every entrepreneur has their own story and we judge each on a case-by-case basis. Here are some helpful guidelines (they are examples, not requirements):
- Live in a low income community
- Are a minority
- Have a disability
- Have a strong social cause to your business
- Are a young offender or ex-offender
- Were once in foster care
- Left school with no qualifications
- Are a woman in business
- Came from an abusive background
- Are a refugee or first generation immigrant
Above all, you must be passionate, committed, and true to making yourself a success as young entrepreneur. So tell us your story!
Applications Due: Aug 27th 2012